I can assume this is of no use for most of you, my constant readers.
But in case you googled for this or just happened to have Windows Phone 7 and cannot update it because of the error 80070026, which you see on the image below,
please know: the only solution that helps is complete reset.
Don’t waste your time on searching for solutions – I did it for you. Also reset is not that painful as you might imagine. Just ensure you have all your media and application data backed-up to some clouds or at least local drive. With good internet connection, which no doubt you have at home, reinstallation of apps is super quick, plus you will get rid of junk apps.
To reset either go to “Settings->About->Reset you phone” or use more geeky way with using phone buttons: turn off phone, then press both volume up and down buttons and hold and then press the power button (briefly) to switch the phone on. When you see reset screen release volume buttons and follow instructions.
You might be interested to know if there are some specifics to my situation, so here they are:
Phone: HTC Mozart T8698
Update: 7.10.7740.16 => 7.10.8107.79
When: On performing actual update
OS: Windows 7
Zune: latest version possible
Some links in case you have other update troubles:
If you found another solution to this problem please let me know.
We managed to create something more exciting. We invented pure FUN. So other 3 of us created mini-game “Face 2 Face”. Splashscreen below:
If you are building Windows Phone application you probably have faced… well… not rich support for unit testing. But of course there is one rescuing thing – WP7 is almost the same Silverlight application. Thus you have wider area to search for solution. Awesome… but I wouldn’t write this blog post if everything is that easy. Right?
Microsoft for some reason doesn’t care about huge community of those who use NUnit for their projects, and believe me not for small projects. So there of course is mstest project template that allows you to run tests inside of the appropriate CLR. There is good Silverlight Unit Tests Framework and here is information on how you can cheat in order to get it working for the phone. Problem with these two frameworks is obvious – they are not supporting console – they run in native for Silverlight environment – either on phone or in web. See pictures (phone and web respectively):
I know that there are ways to make it happen from console under (msbuild for example this temporary wp7ci project on codeplex). Hold on… one second. Again something very specific to Microsoft – msbuild. But what if I’m using nAnt?
I came up with odd solution to force nunit-console to run unit tests in command line. After I observed it crashing with error TargetFrameworkAttribute I reflected mscorlib and googled a bit to discover this attribute exists in mscorlib of 220.127.116.11 version, but nunit actually targets 18.104.22.168 one (.net 2.0). Thus I decided to download sources of NUnit and recompiled those against .net framework 4.0 (mscorlib 22.214.171.124). Reason for this error is that Silverlight also uses higher version of mscorlib.
Before upgrading to Mango our tests for WP7 were created by testDriven (to be honest – it is what they use inside of their SUTF). We didn’t have support for command line and tests were running only because they are so Silverlight compatible.
With updating to Mango everything just died. Tests projects simply didn’t get loaded into solution. With this message:
“Not a big deal” you say. Actually a big deal, because you can get rid of this message by editing project files to have target framework profile set to WP71 and to reference only WP71 assemblies. But in this case you lose all of you compatibility with Silverlight and when you run your tests you start to get weirdest exceptions in the world like this one below:
System.DivideByZeroException : Attempted to divide by zero.
At least this brings some more sense:
System.InvalidProgramException : Common Language Runtime detected an invalid program.
Solution I came up with is not 100% right, but at least it works. I just had to pretend that I’m still completely compatible with Silverlight. So I created copy of my project. One is considered to be used from command line and other for usage from VS.
Project 1 is used under VS has correct references directly to WP71 assemblies, like below:
This ensure that VS loads your projects without errors, also you make it think it is WP7 by these:
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)MicrosoftSilverlight for Phone$(TargetFrameworkVersion)Microsoft.Silverlight.$(TargetFrameworkProfile).Overrides.targets" />
<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)MicrosoftSilverlight for Phone$(TargetFrameworkVersion)Microsoft.Silverlight.CSharp.targets" />
Project 2 is used for console and is pretended to be pure Silverlight, so it has:
Which in reality copies (because of <Private>) wrong assemblies – from Silverlight, not from phone.
You would need to play a lot with which assemblies you want to get in folder where you run tests. I do have some confidence that Silverlight and WP7 are much compatible thanks to this brilliant explanation of what is WP7 from developer’s view.
At #1186 I finally got build working and running tests. At #1193 I invented this Silverlight pretending trick. And finally till build number #1196 I ignored couple of incompatible tests and fixed some really failing tests.
Hope this helps someone. At least it is going to help my team.